Experience – Ian Anderson Artist Biography
Ian worked as a graphic artist, campaign designer, and illustrator with over 35 years of experience in a variety of commercial and non-commercial studios. The accolades include being an Assistant Art Director, Creative Director, Fashion illustrator, editorial illustrator, political cartoonist, campaign director, and general artist learning the twists and turns of an industry traveling through major changes from drafting board to computers.
Prior to Ian’s commercial adventure, he spent many years as a learning and later skilled artisan in the hippy drug culture of West Australia and New Zealand.
• 2018-20> Continuing to create new ideas, create merchandising, learn marketing, and employing others to enhance the vision. Ian joined Mahurangi Artist Network and Created to Thrive, International Christian, Artists
• 2017> Ian’s art introduced to the streets of the world with Vida and LaFesta Fashion
• 2016> After many false starts and some moments of angst, Ian plunged into full-time fine art as a professional opening his small art gallery/studio in Warkworth, New Zealand. The studio/gallery showcases original art and reproductions viewed on this website.
• 2012> After a major cathartic experience, Ian started the journey to become a full-time fine artist, craftsman, illustrator, and photographer. The following four years he juggled between photography, graphic design, painting, leather carving, and setting up a brand ID for the legacy of Ian Anderson Fine Art (IAFA). The full-time goal is painting, poetry, photography, illustration, leather art, book publishing, giftware, reproduction prints, and education.
• Multi-award-winning wedding and portrait photography and oil painting in recognition for excellence Australia, New Zealand, and the USA.
• Conversant with creative technologies (Mac, Adobe, Microsoft, WordPress).
• 1994> Commercial and real estate photographer.
• 1992> Developing familiarity with trends in management thinking and still learning in the forever changing business environment.
• Highly developed graphic, fine art, photography, leathercraft carving, illustration, and digital art skills. Graphic designer and illustrator.
• 1992> Managing Director of Legal Graffiti Design Ltd inc. Hot Shots Creative Photography in Warkworth, New Zealand.
• Moderately successful multi-award winning wedding and portrait photographer.
• 1990> Business Networking International (BNI), Orewa and Warkworth, New Zealand. (Past President)
• Warkworth Squash. (Past Committee Member)
• Warkworth Business Association. (Past Committee Member)
• 1987> Solo, invite group, and retrospective exhibitions of paintings with works hanging in private, business, and government collections worldwide.
• 1983> Political and editorial cartoonist/illustrator for The Christchurch Press, Wellington Evening Post, and The Dominion.
• 1982> Successful advertising campaigns, art direction, and project management.
• 1981-1990s> Adult education tutor in creative illustration, portraiture, painting, photography, cartooning, and leatherwork in Christchurch, Auckland, and Warkworth, New Zealand.
• 1981> Ian flew back to New Zealand, a free man. He became a youth leader and worked as a parttime handyman, leather craftsman, and commercial studio artist in Christchurch.
• 1979> With a conscience conviction, Ian flew back to Perth fronting up to his past and paid his dues.
• 1976> The lights went on. After a trance (or vision/visit to heaven – no exact words to describe and not drugs related!) and 2 parabolic dreams, Jesus’ spirit, without condemnation and in broad daylight, replayed his life in a supernatural movie. While sitting on a stolen backpack on the side of SH6 at Lake Hayes, New Zealand Ian’s supernatural God encounter brought the peace and assurance he was searching for. God exposed all his hidden secrets, deceit, lies, thefts, guilt, shame, identity confusion, and the bitter loneliness that plagues a proud, self-righteous, and stubborn heart.
• 1974> Ian moved to New Zealand hiding for 7 years (or was it running scared from his past) with a police record and 2 warrants out for his arrest.
• 1970-76> 6 years in the hippy drug scene searching for peace and meaning to life. In and out of eastern mysticism, cults, witchcraft, religions, philosophies, sexual pursuits, personal gurus, occult healing, growing dope, dealing drugs, and the short time roadie and part-time percussionist for Afro-Rock band “Mother Lode”
• 1972> 1 year at Claremont Technical College (School of Art)
• 1970> Off the rails, artist-craftsman working primarily in leather and drug counter-culture folk art. Suicidal, murderous, anti-social, anti-materialism, anti-capitalism, and hungry for love in sexual exploits.
• 1968> Commercial advertising artist and neon designer, Perth, West Australia.
• 1965> First Jobs. Junior clerk, postman, and lineman in training, Perth, West Australia.
• Windsurfer in the making.
• Squash, cycling, swimming, and tennis keep his heart rate pumping.
• Music – percussionist and learning guitarist.
• Unashamed, Ian honors Jesus as the doorway to all his love and joy.
• Helping the underprivileged and despised ostracized orphans of the world into a better slice of the pie.
Have You’ve probably heard the statement, “Artists don’t make money before they die”, “Being an artist is not a real job”, “Artists have hopeless business minds” alongside all the other dream stealing conversations that people so innocently and ignorantly throw at many a creative in our society.
I realized how I had taken all that junk on board and an angry protest rose up within me. Who has the right to tell me I can’t or won’t succeed with my gifts while I still have to pay my way of buying others’ goods and services?
Adding salt to my wound, supposedly after I am dead others will make a capital gain out of my poverty inflicted useless paintings that served no real value in modern culture.
I went on my knees before heaven and asked for direction, wisdom, and purpose. In a divine encounter, a new passion was born. I was gifted to pursue my dream and no one had the right to steal it. So here I am to reveal my story.
Wake up call
That morning’s wake-up call put fire in my belly to prove the dream stealers wrong. I wrote a poem and story about my revelation with a vision to paint from the insight. I plan to create the painting later in my journey … watch this space.
At the time of seeing this I thought, why don’t I use what I have in stock photography, old drawings, paintings, and leatherwork to frame up, and display on walls. I built a website for the world to see and decide my place in history.
In 2012 I went to Melbourne, Australia to spend 2 days at a Salvador Dali exhibition. My passion was further developed at the National Gallery of Victoria when I realized I was missing out because I undervalued who I was and what I could paint. I stood in front of a Rembrandt and wept my depressed and broken heart out.
My passion was further enhanced on the Yarra River when a conversation over a cup of coffee with my niece revealed a gem. Jade blurted out this profound statement. “Just paint what you want to paint and let us decide”. One is never too old to learn. I’m now forever grateful. Thanx Jade.
After a long roller coaster ride of emotions, Ian Anderson Artist Biography is here for you to decide.
Remember, buy before I die I want to pay for my own headstone as a successful artist. I don’t want the Government to foot the bill and pay for a poor artist’s grave.
My goal is to leave a legacy for the inspiration of another generation.
Ian Anderson Fine Art (IAFA) is branded copyright capitalizing on financial markets with a percentage of all sales from IAFA and Feast Fashion provides literacy programs via Vida manufacturers. IAFA supports World Vision sponsorship and feeding programs in third world countries through IAFA’s partnership programs. Every purchase adds to our sponsorship towards building better lives for generations to come.
Now when this artist has left the planet the legacy will continue under the protection of “Ian Anderson Fine Art International Charity Trust”.
This dead artist’s works will continue to provide long after he has gone.
Thanx to you all.