These awards are welcome small tokens of recognition by some of Ian’s industry peers. He entered the awards for recognition and to see how he fitted into his peers framework of credibility.
The truth is, Ian Anderson’s awards are appreciated but the awards didn’t change his heart feeling of low self-esteem and genuinely felt inadequacy. Ian could never measure up to the hidden fear of failing to meet that unknown and mysterious standard of, “What makes one worthy in a culture of seeming unachievable standards and self-righteous critics?” However, in hindsight, the awards show Ian had potential but he lacked the confidence to convert recognition into financial rewards. To afford a dreamed decent lifestyle, as an artist seemed an impossible goal against a common opinion, “Artists don’t make money until they die”. Please note, Ian Anderson never given up and still plans to prove the doom-dayers wrong.
This is a dilemma for most creatives, particularly in the fine arts.
Over the years, wanting recognizion but with a confused identity of purpose and economic value system, these small awards portray more glamor than what Ian lived at the time. Today, Ian acknowledge the awards as part of his development.
For those who admire these works and want to emulate his success, Ian has some words of advice. No matter how hard it seems on your journey, persevere with your dream and never give up for something less than you heart’s desire. Always practice, learn, ask questions of your peers and never assume you know it all. Seek and keep up encouraging friendships who are youthfully optimistic and support your dream. Run from your dream stealers.
One last point. This should be the first point. Ask for Gods help. Ian unashamed talks to and involves Jesus in all that he does and if it was not for the spirit of God’s inspiration and partnership he would not have found peace, pleasure and purpose in his unique purpose and artworks.
Ian recommends you to do the same to make your full potential. It will eventually lead you to greater than you expect
If you follow these pointers you will most definitely make it.
• Awards • Exhibitions • Murals • Media
• 2017 GREAT SUMMER HOLIDAY ART EXHIBITION (Snells Beach – NZ) 4 lead Pencil illustrations
• 2017 JUNCTION MAGAZINE – Article on Ian’s journey
• 2015 PUHOI VILLAGE COMBINED EXHIBITION – Puhoi, Matakana Coast, Auckland New Zealand
• 2014 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Certificate of Excellence) THE LAST SUPPER – REVISITED (Leatherwork)
• 2014 WORLDWIDE ART LA – (Juried invite Fine Art Show, Los Angeles Convention Center, USA)
• 2014 HOSPICE CHARITY FUNDRAISER (Omaha Golf Club, Hospice Charity auction)
• 2013 MATAKANA COMMUNITY WALK BRIDGE FUNDRAISER (NSC Matakana auction)
• 2012 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Honorable mention) EYES (Oils on canvas)
• 2012 OH 4 EYES 2 C (Multiple invited artists exhibition with Graham Braddock, Orewa, NZ – Oils, Photo Art and Leather Art)
• 2011 ARTIVITA INTERNATIONAL ART COMPETITION (USA – Honorable mention) PATIENCE 1 (Multi Media photo art on canvas – 16th)
• 2010 NZIPP IRIS PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Queenstown) NZ) 4 BRONZE AWARDS (2 wedding, 1 creative, 1 landscape)
• 2010 INTERNATIONAL PHOTO COLOUR AWARDS (USA) 2 NOMINEES (1 people, 1 nature)
• 2009 INTERNATIONAL BLACK AND WHITE SPIDER AWARDS (USA) 1 NOMINEE (people)
• 2009 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 2 GOLD AWARDS FOR WEDDING PORTRAITS (Colour)
• 2008 NZIPP IRIS PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Tauranga NZ) 2 BRONZE AWARDS WEDDING, 1 BRONZE FAMILY PORTRAIT (Colour)
• 2007 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 3 SILVER AWARDS FOR WEDDING PORTRAITS (Colour)
• 2006 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 1 SILVER AWARD FOR WEDDING PORTRAIT (Colour)
• 2004 THE EXPERIMENTAL YEARS EXHIBITION, ASCENSION WINE ESTATE, MATAKANA COAST, NEW ZEALAND (Mixed media, retrospective works to 1995)
• 2003 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 1 SILVER AWARD FOR WEDDING PORTRAIT (Sepia)
• 2002 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 1 GOLD & 1 SILVER AWARD FOR WEDDING PORTRAIT (Colour)
• 2001 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 2 SILVER AWARDS FOR WEDDING PORTRAITS (Colour Bride & Hannah)
• 1998 KODAK GOLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Auckland NZ) 2 SILVER AWARDS FOR WEDDING PORTRAITS (Sepia & special effects mirror)
• 1997 NORTHLAND PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Whangarei NZ) HIGHLY COMMENDED WEDDING PORTRAIT
• 1996 MOLLY MORPETH CANADAY ART AWARDS (Whakatane NZ) POPULAR CHOICE AWARD (EYES – Photorealist/Surrealist – Oils)
• 1995 ANNUAL SUMMER ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ) Floral photorealism in oils.
• 1995 MOLLY MORPETH CANADAY ART AWARDS (Whakatane NZ) POPULAR CHOICE AWARD (FULL BLOOM – Photorealist/Surrealist – Oils)
• 1995 MAIRANGI ARTS CENTRE MEMBER AWARDS (Auckland NZ) HIGHLY COMMENDED (EYES – Photorealist/Surrealist – Oils)
• 1995 BIRKENHEAD LICENSING TRUST ART AWARDS (Auckland NZ) TONY GILMOUR MEMORIAL AWARD (EYES – Photo/realist/Surrealist – Oils)
• 1995 GREAT SUMMER HOLIDAY ART EXHIBITION (Snells Beach – NZ) MERIT AWARD (EYES – Photorealist/Surrealist – Oils)
• 1995 THE ART BARN (Auckland NZ) Representational, conceptual in wood & canvas. (Oils, Acrylics, Pencil, W/C)
• 1994 MEN’S WORKS ART EXHIBITION (Warkworth Craft Gallery NZ) Oils, Leather, Carving, Pencil Illustration
• 1994 A WINDOW ON THE MAHURANGI MURAL (Warkworth NZ) 20 sq.m Early Mahurangi River history in color realism
• 1994 A WINDOW ON YESTERDAY MURAL (Warkworth NZ) 28 sq.m Early Warkworth history in sepia photorealism
• 1994 A SUMMER HOLIDAY MURAL (Warkworth NZ) 27 sq.m photorealist interior illusion of local beach from veranda setting
• 1993 SMALL WORKS ART EXHIBITION (Warkworth Society of Arts NZ) Oils
• 1992 ANNUAL SUMMER ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ) Oils & Pencil Illustrations
• 1991 KAITAIA SEA SHANTY MURAL (Kaitaia NZ) 1600 sq.ft animated external with 2D mounted cut-outs.
• 1991 THE BARGAIN HUNTERS FANTASY MURAL (Warkworth NZ) 1200 sq.ft animated external & roof mural with 2D block mounted cut-outs
• 1990 BEST ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPH AWARD (ARPA Melbourne). In recognition for excellence in journalism portraiture.
• 1989 ROTARY INTERNATIONAL INVITE ART EXHIBITION (Hamilton NZ) Oils & Acrylics
• 1989 ANNUAL SUMMER ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ) Oils Acrylics
• 1988-89 ARTIST IN RESIDENCE National School of Creative Ministries, Baptist Church of New Zealand, Auckland
• 1988 3 MAN INVITE ART EXHIBITION (DTH Auckland NZ) Oils & Acrylics
• 1987 ANNUAL WINTER ART EXHIBITION (Downtown Hilton Art Gallery, Auckland NZ) Oils & Acrylics
• 1987 SOLO ART EXHIBITION (Orewa Gallery Orewa NZ) Mixed Media & Photography
• 1985 YMCA REGIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS (Christchurch NZ) • Portrait, 1st • Action, 2nd, • Scenery, 3rd
• 1978 COMMISSIONED 5 PIECE CHANDELIER DISPLAY LIGHTING. SCULPTURED LEATHER AND BRASS (Christchurch, New Zealand)
• 1972 ROYAL AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY DISTRICT DISPLAY AWARDS (Perth, Western Australia) 1st • Content, 2nd • Design
• 1964 SENIOR ART PRIZE (Hale School, Perth, Western Australia) Impressionist Oils
• 1952-53 Mrs. DEAKEN Grade 1 Teacher (She loved a drawing I did. I was a winner in her eyes) Donnybrook Junior High School, West Australia